Ethics Nova Scotia Health provides support to all patients, families, volunteers, staff and health care providers in Nova Scotia Health when they need help making difficult choices or when there is disagreement about what is most important. One way we provide support is though performing ethics consultations.
Four different types of consultation/support requests are addressed by Ethics Nova Scotia Health. Click on the appropriate link to access a request form.
- Do you have an ethics-related question or concern about the active treatment of a particular patient? Request a Clinical Ethics Consultation.
- Do you need help preparing and/or delivering an education session about a topic that has a health care ethics dimension? Request support through Ethics Education.
- Do you need help creating or reviewing a policy with health care ethics elements? Request support through Policy Development and Review.
- Do you need help answering an ethics-related question or addressing an ethics-related, organizational matter that relates to the Nova Scotia Health? Request an Organizational Ethics Consultation.
Please submit the completed request form to the administrative support person in your region via their confidential administrative email address. If you require assistance, please contact us by phone or email.
We have also developed a Patient and Family Ethics Tool that may be useful when deciding about what is important and what to do. This tool can help if you:
- • Are not sure of the right thing to do.
- • Disagree with someone about what decision to make.
- • Are wondering how to talk with the health care team about what’s important to you or your loved one.
If you are a Substitute Decision-Maker (SDM) you can find more information in our patient and family guide Making Health Care Decisions for Someone Else: Acting as a Substitute Decision-Maker (SDM)
Location, hours and contact information
Central (Halifax area, Eastern Shore, West Hants)
Central Zone Ethics Support
Eastern (Cape Breton, Guysborough, Antigonish)
Eastern Zone Ethics Support
Northern (Colchester - East Hants, Cumberland, Pictou)
Northern Zone Ethics Support
Western (Annapolis Valley, South Shore, South West Nova Scotia)
Western Zone Ethics Support
How do I get help?
Filling out the request form below and submitting it to the relevant contact person is the first step to get you the support that you need. Anyone who needs help with ethics matters can fill out the form. This includes patients, families, volunteers, staff and health care providers.
How do I prepare for my consult?
Once you submit your request form, someone from Ethics Nova Scotia Health will contact you by phone or email, and help you to prepare for any meetings or discussions.
What questions should I ask?
The request form will prompt you with questions to make sure you get the right kind of help.
What will happen at my consult?
What will happen depends on your situation. Someone from Ethics Nova Scotia Health will be in touch to figure out the best way to assist you.
You can find the Ethics Nova Scotia Health content for professionals here.