Blood collection re-opening at Barrington, Clare Health Centres
Nova Scotia Health continues to work to reintroduce health services and increase activity levels of some programs that were reduced or stopped as part of our response to COVID-19.
Starting Tuesday, August 4, people can once again access blood collection services, by appointment only, on certain days of the week at the following locations:
- Barrington Community Health Centre, Barrington Passage
- Clare Health Centre, Meteghan
Appointments for outpatient blood collections in the Annapolis Valley, South Shore and South West areas can be booked using one toll-free number: 1-833-998-2722 – call between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m., Mon. to Fri.
Nova Scotia Health is working to address issues and delays people may experience when they call to book a blood collection appointment. We apologize for the length of time people may be waiting on the telephone.
The safety of our patients and our staff is top priority. Requiring booked blood collection appointments, as opposed to a walk-in service, is part of Nova Scotia Health’s response to COVID-19. Having booked appointments helps us maintain physical/social distancing in our waiting areas. When coming for blood collection, people are asked to please arrive no more than five minutes prior to the appointment.
The single toll-free telephone number also eliminates the need for some patients to call long-distance. The system puts callers in a queue to be answered in sequence.
The following western zone sites are open for blood collection by appointment only. No walk-ins please:
- Annapolis Community Health Centre
- Soldiers Memorial Hospital, Middleton
- Eastern Kings Memorial Health Centre (EKM), Wolfville
- Valley Regional Hospital (with limited capacity)
- Western Kings Memorial Health Centre (WKM), Berwick
(Please note, EKM and WKM are the alternate sites for patients who would normally go to Valley Regional Hospital for blood collection).
- Fishermen’s Memorial Hospital, Lunenburg
- Queens General Hospital, Liverpool
- South Shore Regional Hospital, Bridgewater
- Roseway Hospital, Shelburne
- Digby General Hospital
- Yarmouth Regional Hospital
The public is reminded the following NSHA blood collection sites are currently closed as part of our response to COVID-19:
- Our Health Centre, Chester
- North Queens Medical Centre, Caledonia
- Lockeport Medical Center, Lockeport
- Weymouth Medical Centre, Weymouth
- Islands Health Centre, Freeport
For more information on blood collection times and locations, visit our blood collection page: www.nshealth.ca/blood-collection