The emergency department is located on the main floor level and is open 24 hours a day. Please go directly to the department and ring the bell. For patients arriving after 8 p.m., please use the buzzer outside the entrance as the doors are locked.
If you need help immediately, call 911.
To access the mental health mobile crisis team call 902-429-8167 or toll-free at 1-888-429-8167. This is a 24 hour, seven days a week phone service to help you or your loved one cope with mental health and addiction challenges in the moment.
Clinics and Services
- Palliative Care
- Respite Care
- Acute Care
- Ambulatory Care
- Diagnostic Imaging
- Laboratory Services
- Occupational Therapy
- Clinical Nutrition
- Social Services
- Adult Day Clinic
- Diabetes Management Centre
- Adult Mental Health & Addiction Prevention and Treatment Services
- Public Health
- Home Care Nova Scotia
- Nova Scotia Hospital Outreach
- IWK Health Centre - Mental Health and Family Services (via Telehealth)
- NS Hearing and Speech
- Seniors Mental Health
- Continuing Care – Care Coordinator and Home Care Nursing
- Community Blood Collection
- Moblie Nova Scotia Breast Screening Clinic
- Community Services
- Nurse Practitioner
- Community & Inpatient Occupational Therapy
- Primary Care Physicians
- Red Cross Loan Cupboard
- Sexual Health Center
- Social Work
- Spiritual Care
- Well Women’s Clinic
Visitors are welcome 24 hours a day according to patient preference and care needs. Rest periods are discussed between family and nursing staff.
Free parking is available on-site.
WiFi and Internet Access
Free public WiFi.
We make every effort to make sure your stay with us is as comfortable as possible. Patients requiring semi-private or private rooms for medical reasons always have priority; however, private or semi-private rooms may be available on request.
Private room: $175 per day - Includes one bed and one washroom.
Semi-private room: $155 per day - Includes two beds separated by curtains and one washroom.
Ward room: Covered under your Nova Scotia Health Card (MSI) - Includes three or four beds (separated by curtains) and one washroom.
Space in our private and semi-private rooms is limited. The sooner we have your insurance information the more likely we are to be able to accommodate your request.
When the booking clerk calls with your hospital admission date, let them know you are interested in a private or semi-private room.
When you are admitted, be sure to have your private insurance card with you and let the admitting clerk know you have requested a private or semi-private room.
TV and Phone in Your Room
Bedside TV services are available in each of the patient rooms through Bell Satellite service. The following rates apply:
- Daily: $5
- Weekly: $25
- Monthly: $100
- Palliative care patients and patients approved and awaiting long term care receive this as a free service.
How to set up bedside TV service
- If you wish to activate your TV, let your nursing staff know.
- Staff are available from Monday to Friday between 7:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. and Sundays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. to set up your TV service.
- We can address any questions or concerns, receive cash payment and process your request.
During your stay in hospital, you have the option of activating your bedside phone service.
How to connect, transfer or disconnect your phone
- Dial 499 from your bedside phone and a BellAliant representative will arrange to have your phone service connected, transferred to another bed, or disconnected.
- BellAliant’s office is open Monday to Saturday, 8:15 a.m. to 4:45 p.m., except holidays.
- If you have questions about the service, please call 1-800-760-8969.
- When you are discharged remember to dial 499 to request that your phone be disconnected so that billing is stopped.
- If you forget to request your hospital phone disconnected before discharged to home, call 1-800-760-8969 Monday to Saturday between 8:15 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. to arrange disconnection.
Service & Connection Rates
- There is a $10 connection charge to set up in-hospital phone service.
- The following fees also apply:
- $2 per day for the first 15 days
- $1.25 per day for each additional day up to and including 30 days
- $0.75 for each day after 30 days
- Daily service and connection charges are billed to your BellAliant home telephone account.
- If you are with another provider, BellAliant will create a separate account for the duration of your hospital stay.
- Your bill can be paid the same way you would pay any other BellAliant bill.
During your stay at the hospital, you will receive breakfast, lunch and supper daily.
You can choose from a variety of options each day. The menus typically include:
- Breakfast: An assortment of homemade muffins, hot and cold cereals, yogurt and fruit, coffee or tea.
- Lunch: Choose from soup and sandwiches, mixed vegetables, pasta and casseroles, including dessert of fresh fruit or a sweet.
- Supper: Options include meat, fish, potatoes and vegetables.
If you follow a special diet or have food-related allergies or sensitivities, let us know when you arrive.
The procedure for ordering meals will be further discussed on admission by dietetic technicians. If you need help filling out your menu, or feel you or your family member may be unable fill out the menus daily, please talk to the dietetic technicians.
Cafeteria and Vending Machines
Lighthouse Café, main level
Hours of operation:
Daily: 10 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., noon to 1 p.m., 3 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 5:45 p.m.
Spiritual Spaces and Quiet Rooms
Requests for spiritual care can be made by patients, family member and/or any member of the inter-disciplinary health care team.
Eastern Shore Memorial Hospital is located in Sheet Harbour, Nova Scotia. The hospital opened in 1976 and has inpatient beds and a 24 hour outpatient/community emergency department. The hospital is also attached to the Harbourview Lodge Continuing Care Centre.